"....You cant just plonk a Container somewhere in a yard and...

1. 24,056 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1

"....You cant just plonk a Container somewhere in a yard and live in it..."

You can't legally do that with a caravan either.

"....If its a permanant structure then it must go through all the planning red tape that is needed for a new building approval...."

As with any permanent structure (and some temporary structures). From memory, I think it cost me around $10k to $15k (could have been less) to get to the stage of having the design and all approvals to build a second dwelling in the back yard of a property I owned.

".....A simple tick of the pen is all it would take for Governments to allow 10 small units on a block that once stood an old house...."

This is happening at the moment in outer Melbourne suburbs, 10 and 15 unit/apartment developments have recently been completed next to my mother's property.

You're looking at a different concept to what I was proposing with the likes of shipping containers. The shipping container concept I was proposing was to have a low cost modular system that is sited with numerous other shipping containers as an actual viable home that could be used as a stepping stone into the property market, (not the Gypsy market of caravans).

It would require a radical rethink of how we see homes, and this includes the planning and regulatory aspects from the government and councils.
    Last edited by Glug: 15/03/17

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.