are we morally bankrupt?

1. 3,769 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1548
    I woke up this morning to see the headline in the business section of The Australian, 'Westpac sends jobs offshore after record profit result'.

Westpac, after making a $6.3B profit, decided this is not enough! I just about spat my weetbix everywhere. Not enough??? Have to cut more costs??? Well lets send some more jobs offshore!

I am sick to death of this! Will we ever have any jobs in Australia for our children? Is $6.3B not enough profit? What is enough profit? Are shareholders responsible?

I know the issues that affect this. I know of cost of living/standard of living, being part of Asia/globalisation, protectionism etc.

What annoys me is that CEO's and the right wing(believe me I am not a left wing Labor supporter) will have you believe that this is good. I am here to tell you it is not. When we ship all the slave/serf jobs offshore, there will be no taxpayers left. There will be no one to buy the goods from the little businessman. It will raise taxes to pay for our already congested highwways and roads. The government will no longer be able to afford to pay for infrustructure.

As I'm typing they are talking about shifting the engineering section(350 jobs) offshore. Is there any end to this? Sounds like the end of the best selling car in Australia, the Commodore, sad days.

We want cheap electronics, cheap goods, cheap cars, cheap IT, cheap everything but we want to live in Australia with a standard of living way ahead of Asia. Well guess what, we will be exactly like Asia and in 3rd world poverty before you know it, if this continues.

Are we as shareholders asking too much in the current markets? Are the general population greedy? Are we so fixated with getting ahead of the Jones that we will do it with no national interest in mind? What about the future of our children?

It appears so... I believe as a country, we have gone morally bankrupt.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.