Argentina's big throw of the dice, page-24

1. 5,237 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 35
    @Fishnnick

I understand what you mean. However, I think that you are seeing thewhole thing from a very personal point of view, that is, from thepoint of view of a consumer being affected by a reasonable increasein the cost of living. As you probably already noticed, I take adifferent approach.

The degree ofopenness or closeness of an economy can be measured by calculatingthe contribution of its imports and exports to the formation its GDP.An economy where such value is high is called an open economy whilean economy where that value is low is called a closed economy.An identicalincrease in the CPI of both types of economies would, obviously,produce an identical effect with zero increase in production.

However, that ceasesto be the case when considering an identical devaluation of theirrespective currencies.The effect upon theconsumer price index of an identical amount of devaluation in bothtypes of economies cannot be the same. In a very open economy it would be almost immediately felt and felt in full, while in a veryclosed economy one would expect them to be delayed and muted.

Currencydevaluations can be imposed, but quite often they are the product of adeliberate policy choice.

The tradable sectorof a country's economy is made up of the industry sectorswhose output in terms of goods and services is or could betraded internationally given a plausible variation in relativeprices.

The possibility of to be traded internationally means that with the help of acurrency devaluation goods once imported can start being produced locally for either internal consumption or even for export, a factleading to the creation of new jobs or better paying ones.

Importers know this and quite often in order to stay competitive andsurvive are willing to e absorb the extra costs imposed by adevaluation either in full or in part.

The2% inflation target has to do with the problem imposed by the zerolower bound with inflation providing a 2% buffer. With interest ratesat 5 instead of at 3 it takes longer to get into the zero lowerbound.Thezero lower bound (ZLB) or zero nominal lower bound (ZNLB) is amacroeconomic problem that occurs when the short-term nominalinterest rate is at or near zero, causing aliquidity trap and limitingthe central bank's capacity to stimulate economic growth.

There are three primaryways to track inflation expectations: surveys of consumers andbusinesses, economists’forecasts, and inflation-relatedfinancial instruments. I would say that in thecase of Argentina they are using the 2% monthly depreciation as a substitute for the whole three. How effective that is goingto be, probably nobody knows.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.