DEG 0.00% $1.16 de grey mining limited

Some very good points.I wasnt really thinking of Nickel...

1. LPN
    142 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 494
    Some very good points.

I wasnt really thinking of Nickel sulphides as base metals at the time when I wrote that and I agree in WA they tend to be very similar to gold in scale and how they do things. Other than Murrin murrin, Ravensthorpe and Nifty, WA doesnt really have a base-metals industry. Not like NSW or QLD. None of those are exactly poster children for success. De Grussa and Nova are exceptions although their best days are behind them.

I guess it is a comparison of scale. Most bulk and base metal mines require large reserves and long lives and lots of infrastructure. Rail and port facilities add hundreds of millions if not billions by themselves. You can get a new gold mine going for bugger all, maybe $150M for a small show. Greenfields gold mines often kick off for less than $50M on a 1-2 year reserve, then fade away because they didnt spend enough, unless the gold price moves in their favour. It's rarely a matter of skill, almost always luck. It's an interesting characteristic of the two facets of industry that gold mining is usually far more primitive and lower tech than Iron Ore and base metals. Also much more emotional and less objective.

Good point about the captive workforce and competition for experience. It's already being seen. The advantage of Iron Ore is that they can very easily "hide" salaries in hundreds of millions of tonnes. When your cash margins are 75-90% of spot a few extra people or slightly higher wages to get a tiny increase in production are much more justifiable over 25Mt than on a 500ktpa gold show. It's also easy to amortise a few tens of millions on things like automation research.

It's also easy to cut back on the extra fat in the system when margins drop. That was how I knew the mining boom was over in 2012 - 2/3rds of the orange shirts in the Qantas lounge suddenly disappeared over about a fortnight, about 6 months before all the blood in the streets in West Perth.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add DEG (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$1.16
Change
0.000(0.00%)
Mkt cap ! $2.768B
Open High Low Value Volume
0.0¢ 0.0¢ 0.0¢ $0 0

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
2 10425 $1.21

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$1.10 3527 2
View Market Depth
Last trade - 09.51am 12/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
DEG (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.