@310843B the irony of what I posted was not lost on me, once I...

1. 17,859 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 145

@310843B the irony of what I posted was not lost on me, once I pressed the 'send' button. smile.png

But you overdid your agreeing with one particular poster by putting your 'nic' 4 times underneath - a little over the top?
    Art is close to my heart - I have had artist friends for most of my life, supported 2 in a major way, 1 by buying her art and helping out with 2 of her exhibitions, and also writing a potted history for her use - and another one by writing his life history and now I am involved in getting better reproductions of his paintings done (I have been sick this last 5 months without realising this, just had little energy, but all fine now)
    I don't paint but have been involved in creative ways in many projects

'Art' as in painting, drawing, sculpture - is for many of its practicants a way of commenting on the world as they see it and for them it often works as a kind of catharsis*. In former years, it also had that function, but art was mostly produced for paying patrons.
    I like the art of the early Australian artists, because it is beautiful, but it is also redolent of an earlier, pristine time - at least for some; it has longing for a 'better past' etc. all built in, although I doubt whether this was true of many people.

I also have a good idea of what sells and what doesn't - a good example of a commercial and also semi-abstract artist was (is, he is still around) 'Ken Done' - no longer so popular, his art was very contemporary and representative of his time and place (Sydney, Australia). He probably made a lot of money from merchandise featuring his art in some way.

Also, I guess, it isn't strange that people object to what they either don't understand or find confronting or maybe 'see something confronting' which on closer inspection means something totally different to another or even the originator.

*catharsis = purification or purging of the emotions (such as pity and fear) primarily through art. : a purification or purging can bring about spiritual renewal or release from tension.

Taurisk

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.