art

1. 567 Posts.
    Rudd calls for reasoned debate on naked child images

8th July 2008, 9:00 WST

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd has urged those engaging in debate over the art world's use of naked children in photographs not to engage children in their arguments.

Children were not able to make responsible decisions for themselves in the matter, he said.

An image of six-year-old Olympia Nelson, taken by her mother Polixeni Papapetrou in 2003 was published by Art Monthly Australia magazine this month in protest against the recent furore over Bill Henson's photographs of a naked 13-year-old girl.

Olympia, now aged 11, has said she is “really offended” by Mr Rudd's criticisms of the photo.

She does not believe the photograph of her amounts to abuse and is upset with Mr Rudd, who earlier said he “can't stand” the shot.

Mr Rudd was unmoved by Olympia's comments and said today his attitude on the issue had not changed one bit.

“The protection of children, and the innocence of children, is of fundamental importance,” he told reporters.

“Secondly, if people want to make a political point in opposition to me, I don't think it's right they use underage children to make that point.

“They can engage the political debate as much as they want. It's a free country.

“But when it comes to the protection of children, I say that should be a foremost responsibility for each of us.”

Mr Rudd posed the question: “How can you credibly expect a six-year-old girl to have made their own independent decision about this matter in the beginning?

“We have a view about what constitutes a responsible time for people to take decisions for themselves,” he said.

“Children, I don't think, fit within that category.”

AAP

------------------------------------

Ok Kev.For once i actually agree with you.So how about making the gutsy decision and put your nuts on the line and cancel the reported 60-80k of tax payers funding for this Magazine.Send the money to a local charity to buy fuel for meals on wheels etc.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.