BTA 0.00% 57.0¢ biota holdings limited

CPGFirst of all, I am a health professional and have had some...

1. 7,980 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 694
    CPG

First of all, I am a health professional and have had some experience with relenza and showing patients how to use it.

And fwiw I have some stockpiled here at home , just in case, from back when the Bird flu scare was at its peak.
    I'll check shortly, but it is no doubt out of date by now LOL

I do agree with you that the active ingredient of Relenza ( Zanamivir ) is a superior drug in the treatment of Flu to Tamiflu. Absolutely no question about it.

The problem is imo the method of delivery... the inhaler.

But let me explain that a bit because YES, inhalers are extensively used in the community

Most (but not all) inhalers are used to treat asthma.

Most are aerosols with a propellant under pressure in a sealed canister. The patient simply presses the button to get a pre-measured, metered dose.

Some inhaled asthma drugs are less simple to use than pressurised aerosol inhalers and the Relenza inhaler is in that category

The main thing with asthma sufferers is that because asthma is a chronic ongoing and/or recurring condition, the patients of necessity have to learn to use their inhaler, and because they use them regularly, get quite practiced at using them.

Quite a different story with a flu sufferer who probably has never used an inhaler before and certainly nothing like the relenza inhaler.

Flu is in most cases a "one off" condition to be treated.

They Relenza patient needs to learn how go through what is usually a a new and comparatively complicated procedure. And this at a time when they are feeling quite ill & low, don't care too much about anything, are disinterested, and their concentration is low.

All too difficult at the time...Much easier to swallow a tablet or capsule.

Sure, it can be argued GSK have not marketed the product very well, but I genuinely feel the delivery system is the major reason that the product is not commercially very successful.

AS I said at the beginning of this post, I do believe in the efficacy of the product and was quite keen on the concept.

But the more effective drug Relenza needs to be delivered to the site of the infection..the lungs... so must be inhaled, not swallowed and go into the stomach...Catch 22 !

I did purchase shares on 28/04/1999 @ $5.71. Sold them on 27/07/99 mid winter for a virtual break even $6.00 when I checked sales nationally from one of the major Australian wholesalers/pharmaceutical distributors, and Relenza was a non event.

Very frustrating I know..... but the end result or the lack or commercial success tells the story.
    Hope for your sake there is a turnaround, because Zanamivir is the drug of choice.

Good luck

Cheers

Bendigo

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add BTA (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.