asic, page-9

1. 355 Posts.
    "...To start with they could use their budget more efficiently..."

It sounds like such a simple notion doesn't it?

In actual fact you'll find that it is the incredibly inefficient attempts to become more efficient across government departments that is spiralling out of control.

In an attempt to do things more efficiently, departments are being faced with fewer resources and expected to deliver the same results. What this actually results in, is greater inefficiency. The workloads are greater, and therefore priorities are realigned, and the biggest losers are the community that these departments are there to serve.

Why don't the police do something? Why don't ASIC do something? Why doesn't the tax department, or the immigration department etc DO something??

Want to know the answer? "competing priorities"

That's the magical phrase which basically means these departments can no longer deliver the services to the community that they once aspired to.

Please don't misunderstand my post. There is indeed the potential for becoming more efficient in these departments/agencies... but the management (and cost!) of achieving those goals is a national disgrace.

Something that needs to also be considered is that ASIC needs to use the Commonwealth Department of Public Prosecutions in criminal charges. That means that the CDPP makes the decision on whether to prosecute or not. ASIC just puts forward their case for consideration (and these days they better have them on toast!). It's likely your post is more about the CDPP than ASIC Ms Muffet.

I'm also pretty sure that the enforcement section of ASIC needs to use the AFP for certain 'evidence gathering' operations... someone may be able to confirm that for me...

From my experience with the CDPP and the AFP I can assure you that their own 'efficiency drive' is having significant impact on their 'clients'. (I hope this has you thinking about what other government departments might require the services of the CDPP and/or the AFP...)

Our government needs major overhaul, but the truth of it is that until people begin to look a little deeper into what is really happening, it's only going to get worse.

Cheers

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.