ASO 0.00% 0.9¢ aston minerals limited

First Quantum Minerals to closeRavensthorpe nickel project with...

1. 3,701 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1081

First Quantum Minerals to closeRavensthorpe nickel project with loss of 330 jobs

ABC Esperance

/ By Hayden Smith and Andrew Chounding

Monday 29 Apr 2024 at 7:39pm

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/6271/6271085-6013a030890fe822ec0edc1ff7d9af74.jpg

Canadian miner First Quantum shuttered its nickel mine on WA's southcoast in October 2017 because of weak prices.(ABC Great Southern: MarkBennett)

• In short: First Quantum Minerals has confirmed the Ravensthorpe nickel mine will be placed into care and maintenance, with 330 jobs to be lost.
    • The Canadian miner says the ongoing slump in nickel prices means the mine cannot feasibly operate.
    • What's next? Shut-down of the mine will begin this week, with the impact to be felt in Ravensthorpe, Hopetoun and Esperance.

A nickel mine in southernWestern Australia is set to close, with more than 300 jobs lost.

First Quantum Minerals confirmedon Monday that its Ravensthorpe Nickel Operation (RNO), 500km south-east ofPerth, would be placed into care and maintenance.

In a statement, the Canadiancompany said about 330 roles would be "made redundant".

The company cited lower nickelprices projected for the next few years and higher operating costs.

"It is anticipated allproduction will cease by late May, with various activities underway in thecoming weeks to ensure a planned, safe wind-down of processing and otherareas," a First Quantum spokesperson said.

"Despite RNO's best effortsto maintain operations ... the site is incurring significant current andprojected losses."

The spokesperson said FirstQuantum acknowledged it's decision would have a significant impact on itsemployees and their families.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ASO (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
0.9¢
Change
0.000(0.00%)
Mkt cap ! $11.65M
Open High Low Value Volume
0.9¢ 1.0¢ 0.9¢ $33.26K 3.476M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
22 3879255 0.9¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
1.0¢ 1260152 5
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 28/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
ASO (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.