The problem of recreational drugs by players from sporting clubs...

1. 420 Posts.
    The problem of recreational drugs by players from sporting clubs isn't unique to the Eagles. I suspect most clubs would experience this to some degree, either knowingly or not. In the Eagles case the most high profile player for the club was the main culprit so media outlets had a field day. A few years ago I went along to a presentation at my daughters school run by the education department and delivered by an ex 200+ game AFL player from the Dockers. His presentation was aimed at educating kids of the risk posed by drugs, alcohol, violence etc etc. Unbeknown to the parents he then asked us to separate from the kids for a presentation. He largely spoke of the party type atmosphere whilst at the Dockers, especially on end of season trips. During his time the club was sponsored by a well known pub in the Freo area, each week they were given vouchers for free drinks at this venue, which many players used to excess. I would have to say it was the most confronting lectures I had listened to. And in his own words, he is lucky to be alive today. I don't mention this as a dig at the Dockers, as I left that school with enormous respect for the person delivering his message. In his case he had underlying mental issues (undiagnosed) and the AFL environment was the wrong place to be for someone of his condition. The problem as I see it during that era, recreational drugs and excessive alcohol was common place within many clubs and kept in house. If there is one positive to come from the Cousins saga, then it would be the fact that it became so public, it forced clubs to rethink their approach to recreational activities.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.