PER 2.35% 8.7¢ percheron therapeutics limited

atl1103 successfully progresses towards phase

1. 20,449 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 268
    ATL1103 Successfully Progresses Towards Phase II Clinical Trial

? ATL1103 Phase I trial successfully meets primary endpoint – safe and well
    tolerated
    ? Preliminary indication of drug activity shown with reduction of serum IGF-I
    and other markers of drug activity
    ? Next step is a Phase II trial in patients with the growth disorder,
    acromegaly
    Antisense Therapeutics Limited (ASX:ANP) is pleased to report on the results of the Phase I
    trial of the Company’s growth hormone receptor (GHr) targeting drug ATL1103. The primary
    objective of the Phase I trial was to assess the safety, tolerability and pharmacokinetics (pK) of
    ATL1103. The Company is pleased to advise that the study met its primary endpoint and that
    ATL1103 was assessed as being safe and well tolerated at the doses employed in the study, with the
    pK data as expected being in line with the general clinical experience with 2nd generation antisense
    drugs.
    The ATL1103 Phase I clinical trial also assessed certain markers of biological activity relevant to
    ATL1103’s potential therapeutic action, including the drug’s effect on blood levels of the hormone
    insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-I). While the Phase I trial was not primarily designed to assess the
    efficacy of ATL1103, which will occur in larger and longer term clinical trials in patients, the results
    achieved on these parameters in this trial in normal subjects indicate that ATL1103 demonstrated the
    relevant pharmacological activity to support its further development as a potential treatment for
    acromegaly and other growth hormone and IGF-I related disorders which include diabetic eye and
    kidney complications and certain forms of cancer. As a consequence of these results, the Company is
    now in planning for a Phase II clinical trial of ATL1103, initially in patients with acromegaly.
    Principal Investigator for the ATL1103 Phase I trial, Professor Albert G Frauman, MD FRACP FACP
    FACCP, Professor of Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics The University of Melbourne and Director,
    Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics Co-Director Victorian Toxicology Service said “The safety and
    tolerability profile of ATL1103 established in this clinical trial, along with preliminary indications of the
    drug’s relevant pharmacological activity, are encouraging and support the ongoing development of
    ATL1103 for a patient group such as those with acromegaly who would benefit from a new treatment
    option.”
    “There is a significant need for safer and more effective treatments for growth disorders, like
    acromegaly. We are pleased with the Phase I clinical data generated on ATL1103 and are excited by
    the drug’s longer term prospects and actively support its continued development,” commented
    C. Frank Bennett, Ph.D., Senior Vice President, Research at Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc, ANP’s
    technology partner and world leading antisense company.
    The ATL1103 Phase I trial was a randomized, placebo controlled, double blind study of single
    ascending doses and multiple doses of ATL1103 in healthy adult male subjects aged between 18 and
    45 years. In the single ascending dose stage of the trial, 24 subjects were administered four dose
    levels of ATL1103 as a single injection starting at 25mg and escalating to 75, 250 and 400mg or
    placebo. The multiple dose stage was undertaken in 12 subjects, 8 who were to receive six ubcutaneous doses of 250mg of ATL1103 and 4 subjects who received placebo administered on
    Days 1, 3, 5, 7, 14 and 21. Subjects were monitored out to Day 35.
    Importantly, no serious adverse events were reported in this trial. Two subjects in the multiple dose
    arm withdrew from the study for reasons not related to safety. All adverse events were reported as
    “mild to moderate”. Injection site reactions represented the majority of all the adverse events
    reported in the trial. There was one elevation in the liver enzyme ALT reported as an adverse event
    in the multiple dose stage. Importantly, the ALT levels in this subject returned to normal during the
    dosing phase, suggesting no residual or cumulative effect of the drug on this safety parameter.
    A secondary objective of this study was to obtain data on the pharmacodynamic effects of ATL1103
    on the IGF-I levels in the blood of the trial subjects. Reduction of elevated levels of serum IGF-I to
    normal is the therapeutic endpoint in the treatment of the growth disorder acromegaly, and reducing
    the effects of IGF-I has a potential role in the treatment of diabetic retinopathy, nephropathy and
    certain forms of cancer.
    As defined in the statistical analysis plan, the effect of ATL1103 on serum IGF-I was assessed as a
    change in IGF-I levels versus baseline (starting point) readings for those subjects who received
    treatment (ATL1103). Pre-dose baseline levels of IGF-I were recorded prior to the commencement of
    dosing and then measured at weekly intervals until the end of the monitoring period. This treated
    group showed a trend in reduction in IGF-I levels from Day 14 to Day 28, with a significant effect
    (p=.034 one sided t-test) at Day 21 with a 7% reduction in mean IGF-I levels versus baseline.
    Other exploratory objectives of the study investigated the drug’s mechanism of action and broader
    pharmacological profile, including the pharmacodynamic effects on levels of growth hormone binding
    protein (GHBP), insulin-like growth factor binding protein 3 (IGFBP-3), acid labile subunit of the
    insulin-like growth factor binding protein complex (ALS), and growth hormone (GH), as well as in
    vitro mitogenic and apoptotic parameters.
    Notably, ATL1103 had a significant effect on reducing GHBP by 16% (p=0.007) at Day 21. As
    circulating GHBP is produced by cleavage from the GHr receptor, the reduction of circulating GHBP
    levels suggests that GHr expression is being reduced. This provides strong support for the drug
    working via its intended, and unique, antisense mechanism of action. ATL1103 also significantly
    reduced IGFBP-3 and ALS, both consistent with its effect on IGF-I and the fact that they are
    regulated by GH. As expected, there was no effect on GH levels. Please refer to Appendix 1 for more
    specific detail on the trial details and outcomes.
    The mitogenic and apoptotic parameters, results of which are yet to be received, are part of the
    ATL1103 cancer experimental program established with Dr Pinchas Cohen MD to look at ATL1103’s
    effect on exploratory markers of cellular activity relevant to cancer in the serum of the subjects from
    the multiple dose stage of the Phase I trial of ATL1103.
    Next Steps for ATL1103
    Based on the safety outcomes and the encouraging preliminary activity data reported from this
    clinical trial, the Company is now planning to undertake a Phase II clinical trial, initially in
    acromegalic patients. ANP expects the Phase I trial data to support the dosing of patients at the
    doses already tested in the Phase I trial and possibly higher over a longer period (3 months), and
    that this may result in a more pronounced effect on serum IGF-I that would be therapeutically
    relevant to the treatment of acromegaly (i.e. a reduction of 25% or greater in the longer term Phase
    II clinical trials being planned). The optimisation of dosage and the drug administration protocol
    aimed at achieving this level of effect will be part of the planning for the Phase II trial.
    3 | P a g e
    ANP also advises that subsequent to the Company’s trading halt, a Pharmaceutical Company that has
    previously expressed an interest in ATL103 has indicated to ANP its desire to move into licensing due
    diligence. While ANP is entertaining this interest from the Pharmaceutical Company, it has not
    committed to partnering ATL1103 at this stage of the drug’s development and will continue its
    planning to progress ATL1103’s development towards a Phase II clinical trial.
    In concluding, the CEO and Managing Director of Antisense Therapeutics, Mark Diamond said “We
    are very pleased to have successfully completed this Phase I clinical trial of ATL1103 on budget and
    ahead of schedule. We are eager to move forward with the development of ATL1103 which we
    believe has the potential to deliver much needed medical benefit to those people who suffer from
    acromegaly and disorders where reducing the effects of IGF-I may lead to an effective treatment.”
    Background Information
    ATL1103 is a second generation antisense

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add PER (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
8.7¢
Change
0.002(2.35%)
Mkt cap ! $78.43M
Open High Low Value Volume
8.6¢ 8.9¢ 8.5¢ $53.40K 614.3K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 49999 8.7¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
8.9¢ 67263 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 21/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
PER (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.