re: au stand on zimbabwe /mugabe says... Mike, I dont mean he...

1. 7,089 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 74
    re: au stand on zimbabwe /mugabe says... Mike, I dont mean he was a nice guy (too much experience of African politics for that). However he had led a stable country that was getting somewhere (albeit slowly) prior to the debacle and collapse of the last decade or so.

This is a continent that does have different rules to our own, it is legitimately explained that a politician can set himself on fire, shoot himself in the head, break arms and legs in his own suicide...

I appreciate that African politicians have been a big part of their continents own downfall, this does not justify a lack of morals when western countries do business there (this is not a go at current issue in DRC as I dont read that there was any choice in that instance).

I have not given up on Africa, it is a nation of people not disimilar to us in wants and needs. The resouces (people/ environment/ minerals/ land/ wildlife etc...) are probably amoungst the greatest of any continent.

I believe in 15-30 years time Africa will be the China of today, the engine room of industry...and cheap labour.
    It remains to be seen whether this will be a benefit for the people (of either).

Unfotunately I agree with Hitched comments, that it isnt the time at the moment when anyone will give a hoot.

...and I supose we should go on or nothing will ever happen.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.