AUD on the skids, page-7

1. 30,174 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1785

Indeed! We better hope it's the right one.

Because now China has emerged as the winner from the Afghanistan situation. That nation is rich in minerals that are unexploited.

You don't think this war has all been just about Al Queda and bringing democracy and the rule of law to the Afghan people, do you? Plenty of other candidates out there which are ignored

The US gambled on being able to fix a situation that's always been about complex tribal alliances and retribution, and corruption. It's wasted billions on paying people to fight. What's happened to the billions?

The issue is that China is making alliances now to be largely self sufficient in minerals, from Africa, Afghanistan (now) and other regions. It's playing the long game and no doubt it's been backing the Taliban. Why not? The Taliban want to be seen as an international player. They need legitimacy.

The U.S is hamstrung by the electoral cycle and domestic political issues. Biden just didn't have any power to reverse Trumps withdrawn decision but they sure miscalculated their own 'success'.

Question: What happens when China demands trading partners use their currency instead of the USD? You think it's all going to be ticketey-boo?

I admire your optimism, but I don't. And I'm feeling very uneasy indeed if China decides they don't want to pay top dollar anymore for Australian iron ore, and see no real impediment to coming and taking it.

We were almost invaded by Japan once. And we used to sell our iron ore to them and it came back to us. in the form of bullets etc. That's why Bob Menzies was known as Pig Iron Bob. If you don't remember the past you're doomed to repeat it. We were lucky that the Americans got involved because the British sure as heck weren't going to save us.

If the next US President is isolationist, we're in big trouble. The AUD will be the least of it. IMO.

Just hoping that the US and China will work things out, given that we've got other survival issue son hand.
    Last edited by dolcevita: 19/08/21

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.