GOLD 0.51% $1,391.7 gold futures

Lokie, I see the calls for the return to the gold standard in...

1. 1,218 Posts.
    Lokie, I see the calls for the return to the gold standard in the same vein as the politicians who sold their policies on an idyllic picture of the past.
    It is a myth that cannot be recreated. Like it or not we have to live in the real world. It has nothing to do with voting left or right and whether political parties are nonsensical or not. (BTW, the reference to John Howard was used because he often referenced to that period as ideal. His own brother made the point about unsewered houses nearby to highlight the paucity of John's historical outlook. You can call it nonsense if you like but it only highlights your own inability to understand the basic thrust of my post. That is that people who think that a gold standard will magically cure all the ills of the world economic system are either like John Howard with a altogether unrealistic view of the past or just unable to grasp the current economic environment.
    I am sorry that I could not draw on an example of left wing folly to show this and thus not upset your political bias.
    I reiterate, Skol is showing a better understanding of the situation than the other posters. As I remember Skol is a beer sold in Europe so he has my vote on that point alone,

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add GOLD (COMEX) to my watchlist

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.