Aus Car Safety regime

1. 22,345 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 769
    Australia Design Rules were started in the early 1970s by introducing vehicle safety standards in line with Europe and the USA. In fact most of our current ADRs have been 'borrowed" from Europe.
    Vehicle security and emissions was added later. It you checkout an early 1970s car you will notice that like a motorbike, the compliance plate has only a few ADR compliance numbers as opposed to the number on a new vehicle's plate.
    For those who import vehicles and for Professional Automotive Engineers these ADRs are the Aussie Bible for
    motor vehicle safety, emissions and vehicle security standards.
    It is worth while to have a read of particular ADR that is of concern whether it be roll over (Moose Test), brake
    tests, seat belts, airbags , tyres-rims, lighting etc.

Since we will have no car manufacturing in Australia within a few years, perhaps we should simply recognise
    Japanese, European and US standards and save ourselves 10s of millions of dollars running FORS in Canberra.
    Our hybrid standards costs up to a million dollars for an vehicle importer to demonstrate Full Volume vehicle
    compliance and, in my opinion, serves more as a trade barrier rather than a genuine vehicle safety regime.
    Cheers
    moorookamick

PS: I thought I would start this thread to cater to vehicle safety interests expressed on the CO2 based Rego Scheme.
    mm

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.