Aus Car Safety regime, page-8

1. 7,247 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1
    Peru was a guided tour, with Alaska-based Motoquest. Excellent. Macchu Pichu, Lake Titicaca, Nasca lines, some amazing desert roads, sealed. An amazing trip.

Welcome to Western Australia today. Vastly increased fines have taken effect.
    "there is a $1200 slug for an offence that previously didn’t attract a fine or affect demerit points — altering number plates or fitting a device that prevents effective identification.
    The fine for failing to wear a motorcycle helmet has jumped from $100 and three demerit points to $550 and four points.
    Mobile phone use while driving now attracts a $400 penalty and three demerit points, up from $250 and three points.

There is a bit of irony in this for me. I do a lot of riding in the US (have a BMW there permanently, Ducati at home!) and the last two are not even offences in Arizona where I spend a fair bit of time. No helmet law or anti-phone law, and no RBT. I don't agree with that, but its true.

Not only that but while in an AZ Highway Patrol car on duty, we pulled up a wandering errant driver. His excuse was that he was distracted by talking on his phone!! Rapped over the knuckles and sent on his way.

We also caught a guy on the Interstate with weed in his car. Given a court appearance notice, where he would be acquitted if he could produce his 'lost' medical certificate.

I'm not condoning or otherwise, just reporting on how amazing it is that supposedly intelligent people can come to such different conclusions in different places.  

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.