Well ...... it looks like everybody who posts on this thread...

1. 5,159 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3722
    Well ...... it looks like everybody who posts on this thread gets hammered by someone, from the right or left or centre, or a cult, or just some other drunken fool posting late at night, because everyone seems to have a strong opinion on Australia day, so by posting here you are really on a hiding-to-nothing.

So, being an old age pensioner, white and tired, and masochistic I suppose, with no friends, and with not much to lose, here is my post.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Australian day moved to May 27.

May 27 in 1967, via a federal referendum, was when over 90% of non-indigenous citizens voted to give "everyone" in Australia the vote, one person - one vote/value, "including" all indigenous peoples.

I mean, nothing is perfect, but it's the best date I can think of, under the current regime, to at least "symbolically" indicate a "united" nation, though I grant you the premise that we will never really be united, given the history of settlement.

Therefore, for me, under the "current" political and governance regime, which is the Westminster English regime, and for as long as it reigns, it is probably the best date for when everyone on the continent became equal, or at least ........ "figuratively" equal - which may simply be the best we can muster "at the moment".

Bearing in mind, that all things human change in time.

Gw

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.