i found- many articles a bit vagueWell nobody really knows what...

1. 14,237 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 5
    i found- many articles a bit vague

Well nobody really knows what the effects of the price signals will actually be on behaviour.
    Some speculation from me.
    Secondhand models of affected vehicles might increase in value when doing a deal on a trade-in although many tradie types lease vehicles rather than buying while others buy on finance and get a substantial depreciation benefit for tax purposes.

Manufacturers might bring in more ev's and hybrids and offer deals to move them close to any cut-off date to avoid fines.
    They might hold back on gas guzzler numbers around that time.
    Manufacturers might put up the price of gas guzzlers to cover any possible fines.
    They might decide to invest in R&D to make gas guzzlers more efficient.
    Any increase in price of gas guzzlers might make a buyer opt for a cheaper model with less bells and whistles.
    I heard one market participant state that rather than focus on initial cost or cost of fuel people should talk about cost of ownership over time which includes things like servicing.

Anyway an opinion article which includes comments attributed to a CEO.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/ute-4wd-price-hikes-mooted-under-nves-executive/

Mitsubishi Australia CEO Shaun Westcott has warned car makers may be required to increase prices of 'dirtier' models in their line-ups to ensure companies continue to make a profit under the new rules.
    While Mitsubishi is Australia's top-seller of fuel-efficient plug-in hybrid cars, its popular diesel Triton utes and Pajero Sport 4WDs place it at risk of missing the new targets – which are being finalised before coming into effect on 1 January 2025.
    The rules – known as the New Vehicle Efficiency Standard – will mandate targets for how much CO2 (carbon dioxide) was produced on average by the vehicles sold by a car maker in a given year.

High-pollution vehicles can remain on sale, but to avoid hefty fines for the manufacturer, they must be offset by volumes of low-emissions and zero-emissions vehicles, to bring down the average.

The Mitsubishi executive has warned the Japanese car maker may not be able to sell enough low-emissions cars to cancel out its biggest polluters – so it may be required to inflate ute and 4WD prices to offset any fines.

"Mitsubishi does have a portfolio that includes plug-in hybrid models, ASX [compact SUVs] and smaller cars. And there is opportunity to offset within there. We have a portfolio of cars.
    We haven’t yet modelled where that falls out and what that means [for meeting the targets]," Mr Westcott told Drive.
    "We are not a state-subsidised company. We are private industry, which has to survive by making a profit. Ultimately, the price of the car will have to cover that equation.
    "And if the current equation doesn’t cover that [profit], then there may have to be an increase in prices of cars somewhere."

Mitsubishi is one of three Top 10 selling car makers which does not build an electric vehicle for sale in Australia – or will not within the next six months – but Mr Westcott says the car maker intends to return to the electric-car market after axing the i-MiEV city car a decade ago.
    “Every manufacturer is on a journey, we are on that same journey. We have the benefit of being part of an alliance, and through the alliance we have access to, at last count ... 35 [electric-car] platforms by the year 2030," said the Mitsubishi boss.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.