agree on adaptation --------------- it is the ONLY factor in...

1. 85,953 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 75
    agree on adaptation --------------- it is the ONLY factor in survival

re. ''That's probably why Homo Erectus moved out of Africa and supposedly to every corner of the world - to either eat, avoid being eaten or for shelter. ''

I'm not sure about any of that - to do with climate.

Yes, clearly - if the climate became harsh - we moved. If it looked better over 'there' climatically - we moved.

I've done a lot of work studying the movement of humans and animals - watching their tracks and movements in environments - and yes, one often finds the obvious - that people go somewhere for something -

what I found more interesting were the places that people never went ------- and they couldn't know what they were like - because, they never went there.

I did a lot of observations over a beach at the front of my house. I also tracked sheep to see where they went and didn't go.

It opened up all kinds of interesting things - one of which was 'meander' - which is fascinating - because (unless there's been findings since) - if modelling takes out all known variables for meander - like a river or similar ----------- you STILL get meander.

I saw this many times in a robot which was travelling over ground. Sometimes - the thing would activate direction change - when heading for a location. It was fitted with collision avoidance etc -

but, several times - it went around 'something' ------ and consistently - but, there was just plain nothing there to avoid -------- not to our eyes anyway.

my conclusion there was 'weird shit happens'. I've also seen it in self drive cars, trucks in parking bays etc etc. ----------- often - just weird shit.

And whilst I cannot possibly be objective - it's impossible to transport ones self back 100 or more thousand years and forget all we have learned in this lifetime ----

I have spent a lot of time being in the desert or thinking of being in the desert or being in nature somewhere where we were in the past --------------

an example near me now is a cave system that has been in continual use by hominids for almost 2 million years -

it's a glorious place - where the very first time I came to it - I thought - yep, I could survive here --

well, I've done many imaginings of what I would feel if I were there in the stone age -

aside from surviving --------- what would I 'feel'? ----- I'm hampered by my modern humanity - and I have the overwhelming feeling that I would want to 'go somewhere'

but - 'where'?

My modern self thinks - well ------ to the coast. But --------- why?

As a modern human in the early stone age - in what is now Burgundy - I would probably know that there was such a thing as 'the coast' -------- but, would I want to go there? (I'd be in touch at times with other humans and news travels)

why would I if I could survive right where I was. As far as I can see - I'd only want to go there out of curiosity, or if something happened to my little world and the food became short or similar.

Humans have many characteristics which drive behaviour -- it's too complex IMO to really grasp why we move - unless we were in the actual position where we felt the need to move.

As to migration or mass migration from climate - well, that one is obvious.

As to moving about willy nilly ------------ not so obvious.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.