Australia MUST consider nuclear power., page-684

1. 18,169 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 325
    I’m in France at present staying with friends and doing some workshops and can’t recall which administrative area (occitane I think) I noticed a target to become almost completely reliant of renewable energy. curious I’ve checked out more about their energy policies and found this which I think is telling

combination of infrastructural issues at nuclear power plants and the energy crisis of last year have pushed the government to move ahead with a law to speed up the deployment of renewables and another one to accelerate the construction of new nuclear reactors. France adopted a new green industry bill in autumn 2023.Nov 9, 2023

while nuclear power is around 63% of power sources, fossil fuels still figure heavily. About 16 nuclear power plants are shut down

their situation with nuclear power isn’t necessarily secure either - around 40% of uranium comes from Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan

an additional comment - in France the bureaucracy and processes are painfully slow (their own admission) and so the French government happily subsidise power at present. Further energy analysts blame a lack of energy vision and foresight on their current vulnerability

Renewables, nuclear, fossil fuels. No matter which way a country lands it is not straightforward. What seems sensible at one time may not be later. most likely a balanced approach which doesn’t involve overrating on any single source would seem sensible to me

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.