australia - no vacancies, page-160

1. 487 Posts.
    what would you expect when every working man has to support his 2 children, his wife(assume housewife), plus 2/3 of a retiree?

rudimentary economic principle states economic growth is driven by population growth, productivity growth, technological advances and better allocation of resources.(there are more, but these are the major ones I remember atm).

Obviously Australian birth rate is too low to maintain economic growth in the future, if I recall the last stat I read is 1.7 children per family. So if we want to maintain the standard of living and continue to see improvements, immigration is the key.

I wonder how Bacci managed to get 107 thumb ups. I assume none of us on the hotcopper is of Aboriginal heritage. Stopping immigration is absurd.Remember Australia is built by immigrants, America is also built by immigrants.

P.S. I don't like boat people, they should be turned back. But we need smart, hard working, ethical people to join the work force. And I don't support the idea that having foreign workers labour here for 40 years then send them back to their native country for retirement.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.