australia - no vacancies, page-25

1. 23,038 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 827
    "I haven't seen any response post a strong rationale why we shouldn't determine Australia's carrying capacity before we continue immigration."

Bacci

First we would need to determine what is the one limiting factor.
    Water maybe?
    So if we had a population of 100m how could we source sufficient water to survive?
    We would need to assume that finances play no detrimental part as ultimately any thing can be financed.
    So desal plants, Pipelines from North, Icebergs?
    Anywa my point is that the only limitation we have that I can see is water.
    Space we have and I don't subsribe to the theory that parts are uninhabitable. Tell that to the indigenous. Some parts are prefferable but no pars are uninhabitable.

So is it simply a chicken and egg thing?

Do we build the infastucture then populate it or is it a moving target that gets accomodated as required with basic forward planning. A bit like your local council and state governments.

My question has always been should we turn our backs on our neighbours so we can enjoy a better life style? Many seem to think so. I guess I am not one of the many.

I don't agree in the populate or perish theory either but Bacci I wonder how we determine how many is capacity.
    USA has 308m and Japan 127m and yet they are both in the top 10 countries for standard of living.
    I think the oppositi is required. We should be seeking ways with the land mass we have to determine how we can accomodate more people. Even though that creates all sorts of ethnic challenges it is definately more humane than putting up the 'Australia - no vacancies' sign.
    We can't shut the world out because we fear it. We are apart of globalization whether people like it or not and simply trying to build walls and putting up the do not enter sign will not work.

I have a question for Dave.

If we shut the gates on immigration should we then also then dissallow overseas brides? After all this is still immigration.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.