that link doesn't lead me anywhere - I don't know about anyone...

1. 81,502 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 75
    that link doesn't lead me anywhere - I don't know about anyone else

as to how oz is where it is -----

well, I think there's a myriad of reasons and factors - including our basic philosophies on the difference between cost and investment -

but, I do note that there's one undeniable fact

during the Howard era and since then - we have had 2 MASSIVE mining booms

and, we have got 4/5ths of stuff all out of it

that really is atrocious ----------- when one looks at what some other nations have done with natural resources wealth - we, in comparison have basically just pissed it up against a wall

we don't even own the bloody resource companies now - they are basically all foreign owned ---------------- what a disgrace

and, the BS argument about how we can still gain wealth from it because they can't take it away and we get the royalties just doesn't cut the mustard because mining has changed dramatically in the last decade or so and it is and will now be a royalty race to the bottom with some huge projects coming all over the planet

IMO - we lost the game there and then

we lost the ability to fund heading into an ultra high tech future -----

and, once you are behind in that game - it's all over red rover

for Oz - it's now 50 times harder because we now have record debt - not that it would have been easy anyway - it's never easy - and, in a nation that is tightly conservative - and, yes, we are that - even Labor is that - the Oz people are conservative - they do NOT like change -

but, if it was hard enough before - now, saddled with debt - it's like trying to get the horse up to a canter when it's standing carrying a car on it's back

unless something really fundamental changes - perhaps because of something like Covid - a step change - then, I'm afraid - it's game over for Oz

the luck has run out

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.