Australia Day wasn't even a thing on the calendar back in my...

1. 44,349 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 642
    Australia Day wasn't even a thing on the calendar back in my youth. the cultural cringe ruled and we still wore the prison garb of our origins. we celebrated the Queens birthday and mourned ANZAC Day and Armistice Day (11/11).

now we try to keep up with the Joneses across the other side of the Pacific in jingoism. and of course Big Gas Guzzling Cars.

I recognise the land belonged to all Aboriginal people before the Brits invaded.

I was talking with a couple of fellers from the local Aboriginal land council yesterday. they were here checking the fire safety of the access tracks and encroachment of fire fuel toward the fence lines, looking after we who live "next door" to their gazetted land. we didn't discuss politics but chatted about the local recovery signs after the 2019/20 severe drought. when they were leaving they thanked me for helping to look after the land (I've mowed the fire fuel back to 50 metres and planted a few seedlings in keeping with the local vegetation). they mentioned the flak they cop from many non-Aboriginal people left them feeling negated. it seems Aus Day doesn't include them.

so effectively Aus Day has become a divisive means of isolating original Aussies.

no wonder they call it Invasion Day.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.