SBN 0.00% 0.0¢ sun biomedical limited

RELAYERthanks for the article ... nice to see the police moving...

1. 396 Posts.
    RELAYER
    thanks for the article ... nice to see the police moving to curb the scourge of drug driving. However, at this stage the saliva testing is not conducted using Oraline.

In Victoria (and in other jurisdictions) the saliva testing is a two-stage process. Initial testing is done with the Securitec drug wipe (spelling? - a German based product?) and the confirmation testing for those showing positive is done with Cosar Rapiscan (spelling? - a UK product?).

I am not sure what the actual sensitivity levels of thes products is, but I am sure that Oraline is superior for detecting cannabis use and impairment.

For Oraline to supplant the incumbent technologies would require convincing the Victorian Police that it is a superior product in terms of its:
    * technical capacity (detection levels);
    * practical use in the roadside application; and
    * overall cost-effectiveness.
    I am biased (as a shareholder), but am sure this is all very doable.

In addition, the use of Oraline would probably require changing the legislation that enables roadside saliva-based drug testing. This would be needed if the enabling legislation specified the type of technology that was allowed and, thus, would need to be amended to include the use of Oraline.

(As an aside, specifying in legislation the type of technology allowed is poor regulatory practice as it makes regulation inflexible. Far better to specify the performance required of any technology used, and thereby provide the flexibility for roadside use to adapt to changing technology and to use the best available).

So if SBN want to break into this market, they will need to present their case about their product's superiority to the scientific officials within the Victorian Police's Drug and Alcohol Strategy Unit, and possibly agitate to change the enabling legislation behind roadside drug testing.

The Latvian example at least provides evidence that SBN has a credible product in this regard.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add SBN (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.