Lol. You're just guessing old mate. You've got no clue.No, I...

1. 35,435 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 4

Lol. You're just guessing old mate. You've got no clue.

No, I haven't been there when they are refueling those particular turbines. But I do know a little bit about turbines that run on diesel and/or gas. I'm quite familiar with their fuel consumption rates. That's why I can confidently say that you don't buy 35MW diesel turbines with the intent of running them all the time. Unless you're the US military or some other organization with unlimited money.

These machines were purchased originally by the Weatherill government as black starters in response to the 2016 SA blackout where they discovered that the existing blackout system was not up to the job.
    The intent was to convert them to gas at a later date so they could be used as peaking generators on extremely hot days. Then there would also be some other options depending on the price of gas going forward.

You keep rabbiting on about renewables being unreliable. Maybe you should look up the definition of the word in the dictionary some time ?
    Renewables are reliable and their output is quite predictable. We have weather records going back decades, satellite and radar information at our fingertips and we are using cameras monitoring the sky with sophisticated software to predict renewable output down to the second. Combine that with some clever algorithms and some AI and you have a very powerful tool that is managing the flow of electricity around the grid and responding to the weather changes accordingly.

" The grid in SA is so unstable that these GTs have to be completely disconnected from the grid because the frequency drop due to the start up would send you black anyway! "

Not sure what toilet door you read that on but it doesn't actually make any sense at all ? The SA grid is not unstable at all. It is synchronised to the east coast grid. In the case of SA being islanded, solar and wind are curtailed prior to resynchronisation.

So, back to the cubby house and you and the other trolls can get the whiteboard out. See if you can find a few more big words to string together so that you can pretend you know what you're talking about. rolleyes.png

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.