avocado growers ! advice required.

1. 1,753 Posts.
    I intended to post on this topic some time ago and wrote a lengthy dissertation, only to somehow lose it to the ether.

I was so discouraged that I have only just mustered the enthusiasm to attempt it again. I'm tapping away at the IPad while I sit on the couch so bear with me if there are typos. I call 'em ipados because it is usually the iPad trying to "fix" my spelling.

OK. So we planted a Bacon avocado about 4 years ago. It's a cold tolerant variety as we are in Melbourne.

I've wrapped it in cotton wool since it was planted and it's growth has been stellar - I have a green thumb.

What confuses me is the inconsistent yields I'm getting and the (seemingly) unexplainable loss of what appears to be fertilized and developing fruit.

We get millions of flowers each year but only a few fruit seem to hang on to form into full size fruit. This is wishful thinking as there are about 4 or 5 that are about 30mm accross at the moment that I think will make it. . .

Last yea e got nothing after the small fruit fell off - albeit only a few of them. The year before we got 2 full size fruit - which was unexpected as he tree was quite small.

So pollination is obviously a big deal for avocados. My tree attracts multitudes of flies and bush bees when it flowers so I figure that they will do the pollinating. Also I've read that avocados can be self fertile in cooler climates.

Any thoughts from avocado fans?

I'll post pics over the weekend if here are any interested parties. I have millions. The avocado tree has become somewhat of an obsession. My heart breaks when I find fallen fruit.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.