OPH 0.38% $2.63 ophir high conviction fund

Agree with all your comments hobbes29.However, I would only say...

1. 3,419 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 452
    Agree with all your comments hobbes29.

However, I would only say a couple of things about relying on buybacks to remove perennial discounts.

One, the primary reason and supposed benefit of a closed fund is the ability to deploy capital without the risk of having to fund redemptions. That is, you can have more skin in the game. History has shown closed funds employing ongoing buybacks tend to remove the primary benefit sold to shareholders. That is, capital is relied upon to fuel the buy back, rather than in the market where the fund is focused. I am not suggesting this is tantamount to an open fund, but it does lend towards increased cash reserves.

Secondly, investors often employ a hold and wait pattern when an LIC is artificially propped by the company. That is, investors will often hold out buying on the basis of a buyback being a finite liquidity method. Undoubtedly, the SP will move in the right direction tomorrow, but not based upon market forces.

In saying all that, the company is at least proactive. There are a myriad of LICs/LITs suffering from perennial discounts, yet nothing has been put forward by the board.

I think there are broader issues facing closed funds. It is definitely a shame those who held units in the fund prior to the conversion were sold the usual spin.

P.S. I think Ophir are amazing managers and I only wish they would open their managed funds to retail investors. I know from my experience in the field, so many retail investors would love to be involved if not for the closed fund status.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add OPH (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$2.63
Change
0.010(0.38%)
Mkt cap ! $585.4M
Open High Low Value Volume
$2.62 $2.64 $2.61 $427.2K 162.7K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 19824 $2.62

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$2.64 21229 2
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 13/09/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
OPH (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.