When I was young and stupid I though it was smart to swear but I...

1. 17,866 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1004
    When I was young and stupid I though it was smart to swear but I was smart enough to only use it in male company. I was working in an all male situation on an island in NZ and never realised how bad my language had become until an old Maori we employed as a boatman pulled me aside one day and told me that he never went to school but could express himself without any profanity. Surely, because I had had a formal education, I could do the same. Hardly ever since that day have I found it necessary to swear.

Tonight's ABC program was absolutely disgusting, there was F### every few words throughout almost all the program. I lost all respect for Deborah Mailman as an actress. She came across on the same level as the half drunk aboriginal women I see on a regular basis who use the same language and who have young kids that do the same.

Is it just me and the rest of society think this is OK or am I right in thinking it is unnecessary "trash" talk.

There are plenty of other reasons not to watch the ABC. For me it is another. I've just typed a message to Ita Buttrose to give her my thoughts.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.