BTA 0.00% 57.0¢ biota holdings limited

bad news for relenza and maybe lani, page-2

1. 850 Posts.
    Don't forget about the silver bullet double action the virus needs to defeat to achieve relenza resistance. I would like to see better confirmation of this additional mutation and resistance.

I am also waiting to hear ongoing reports re effectiveness and any issues with actual use of lani in Japan.

The report was a good find 202020. Humanity is in for a rough ride if the mutation is resistant and easily transmitted, but it is probably far too early to be concerned.

Viruses have evolved over millions of years. They contain fragments of multiple previous versions. The rapid progress of viruses can lead to resurrection of properties from combinations of these ancient fragments. Many of these fragments could be continually testing our resistances. Of those that are successfull, many might not be easily transmitted and will only survive as fragments. Finally there will be the return of a combination of long lost variations that provides great difficulty for birds or pigs or humans. I think what I am describing are "wild type viruses" that evolve naturally. The 1918 Spanish Flu was like that.

The other type of virus development is caused by our inadequate resistance and over-use of medication. Some viruses survive to pass on their enhanced survivability. Probably some of the tamiflu resistance could be attributed to this.

In both cases of resistance, there are many obstacles for the virus to overcome. Unfortunately the viruses just keep on trying, every minute of every day of every year until hell freezes over.

Let us assume that relenza is effective for 15 years and lani for another 15 years. Unless we can keep on coming up with new ways to fight viruses, such as vaccines that anticipate mutations, better genetic technology or improved antvirals, all we did was put off the day of reckoning by 30 years. Since we have about 3 flu pandemics each 100 years it would then be just a matter of time before many millions will again die like in 1918.

Personally, I think the only current hope for us against this relentless enemy is relenza and lani. That is why I have relenza on hand and that is why I hold biota shares.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add BTA (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.