PSH 0.00% 4.9¢ penrice soda holdings limited

PENRICE SODA HOLDINGS LIMITEDMedia Release4 February...

1. 187 Posts.
    PENRICE SODA HOLDINGS LIMITED
    Media Release
    4 February 2008
    AUSTRALIA’S PENRICE WINS SODA ASH SUPPLY CONTRACT
    FOR $2 BILLION NEW CALEDONIA NICKEL PROJECT
    Australian company Penrice Soda Holdings Limited (ASX: “PSH”) has beaten
    international competition to a soda ash supply contract for the new US$2 billion Goro
    nickel mining project on the South Pacific island of New Caledonia.
    Penrice’s South Australian plant will supply Vale Inco’s Goro nickel project with soda ash
    which is used as a precipitant in the recovery of cobalt and nickel in the mine treatment
    process.
    The exclusive multi-year contract starts in the 2008-2009 financial year when the
    massive Goro project is scheduled to commence nickel and cobalt production.
    “This is another significant resources industry supply contract for Penrice and is
    expected to provide us with an earnings uplift of around 5% per annum,” Penrice’s
    Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer, Mr Guy Roberts, said today.
    “It builds on our other recent new mining industry contracts, including the long-term
    supply of soda ash to the new Windimurra vanadium mine in Western Australia which will
    generate annual revenue of around $10 million for Penrice,” he said.
    “Like our Windimurra success, Penrice has beaten international competition to capture
    the Goro nickel mine supply contract and we are well placed to continue our strong
    position as a reliable, secure and competitive soda ash supplier to such projects.
    “The global soda ash market remains tight, with demand from the glass industry
    outstripping supply and with no major expansions planned in the USA which remains the
    biggest exporter of soda ash.
    “At Penrice, we are already examining the options to expand soda ash output from our
    Osborne plant in South Australia to ensure the Company maintains its standing in local
    supply markets.”
    Goro nickel project
    The Goro project has the giant Vale Inco Limited as its largest shareholder. Other
    shareholders are huge Japanese companies Sumitomo and Mitsui (combined 21%) with
    the remaining 10% held by provincial authorities in New Caledonia.
    Vale Inco is a leading producer of nickel, copper, cobalt and precious
    metals, based in Toronto, Canada. Vale Inco is a wholly-owned subsidiary of
    Vale, (formerly CVRD) one of the world’s largest mining companies. Vale Inco has more than 12,000 employees worldwide and had net sales last year of over US$8
    billion.
    Goro is one of the largest undeveloped laterite nickel ore bodies in the world with
    expected annual capacity of 60,000 metric tones of nickel and up to 5000 tonnes of
    cobalt.
    Construction work on the Goro mine and nickel production plant project commenced
    several years ago and is expected to be completed this year with phased output building
    to nickel and cobalt production reaching full capacity in 2013.
    Estimated capital cost for the mine, process plant and infrastructure is US$2 billion.
    Soda ash for the Goro mine will be shipped from Penrice’s Osborne plant which is also a
    major supplier or soda ash to the Australian glass industry.
    “Another large mining customer in the region has recognized Penrice’s long standing
    strengths of responsive, reliable and competitive supply.” In fact It is the second nickel
    mine supply contract in New Caledonia for Penrice, which has been successfully
    supplying another mine for many years.
    “This latest resources industry contract also represents another successful diversification
    for Penrice away from its reliance on traditional soda ash sales to the glass industry,
    which of course still remains the backbone of our annual revenue source,” Mr Roberts
    said.
    “We look forward to building on the Goro success with new contracts across the glass,
    mining and industrial consumer sectors,” he said.
    About Penrice
    Penrice is the only manufacturer of soda ash and sodium bicarbonate in Australia. It
    exports to more than 15 countries and employs about 300 people.
    Its chemicals business, based at Osborne, supplies two key industrial chemicals. Soda
    ash is a vital ingredient in products ranging from glass containers (especially wine and
    beer bottles), and flat glass for building and construction, to washing powder and the
    mining industry.
    Sodium bicarbonate is used in applications as diverse as food and pharmaceuticals,
    medical and personal care products and stock feed.
    The Company also owns and operates the largest marble and limestone mine in
    Australia, situated at Angaston, in the Barossa Valley, South Australia. The Mine
    provides a critical, economical supply of limestone to the Company’s production of soda
    ash and sodium bicarbonate at its plant at Osborne.
    The quarry and mineral business sells products from the mine for a variety of
    applications including cement and lime, civil construction, roads, landfill, glass, mineral
    processing, agriculture, stockfeed and landscaping.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add PSH (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.