OK, if you are trying to replicate the Hostplus Indexed Balanced...

1. 1,117 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 14
    OK, if you are trying to replicate the Hostplus Indexed Balanced Option, a few issues need to be taken into account. In saying you want to do it through your brokerage account, do you mean that you only want a listed investment? Or does your broker also do managed funds?

If the answer is 'I want a listed vehicle', the basic answer is that you cannot replicate Hostplus (i.e. their SAA position and using an index investment methodology) in a single listed fund. What you would have to do is choose a range of ETFs which match their SAA positioning (found here https://pds.hostplus.com.au/5-how-we-invest-your-money#a38cce86-7cbc-44f4-b220-b8f6bfd29656). If you are looking at doing that, I could make some further suggestions as to where to start.

If however you were looking at an unlisted fund, there are several major providers in multi-asset index funds. Russell, Vanguard, BT, CFS and MLC. There are also dedicated direct platforms like Stockspot etc who do similar things. What you will be able to use will depend on your circumstances.

Regardless of each choice, it is vital to look at the asset allocation of Hostplus before you start. Multi-asset funds do not have a uniform system of labeling funds. One fund's definition of 'Balanced' may equate to another fund's definition of ' Moderate', 'Conservative' or something else. Ignore the labels and look at the target asset allocation to determine your path.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Occam Logic: 20/11/17

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.