Yeah, I just got back from Philippines last week. Love it...

1. 7,746 Posts.
    Yeah, I just got back from Philippines last week. Love it everytime. It's more fun in the Philippines. It very badly marketed IMO. English speaking, great natural wonders, culture, food, prices, etc. Yet Bali and Thailand will get the Aussie punter everytime. The odd Yank will favour Philippines due to history.

I stayed at Then Peninsula hotel. Five star. Cost about $300/night. Great location next to Glorieta Mall and 100m from our embassy. But only stayed a couple nights at that rate.

I haven't been to the tourist places like Boracay, Cebu, Peurta Princesa, Baguio. I prefer cheaper places like La Union for beach. And I love seeing the worst of a country as much as the best. A trip through Tondo should be on everyones list to see how fortunte we really are.

In Manila, there is a mall known as "168" or "divisoria". Wont really appear in any travel reviews. But amazing value. Very crowded and in a dodgy part of town but worth the experience. Mainly cheap knock offs. But even SM malls are cheap compared with Oz and they are safe as. YOu get frisked on entry/exit.

Drugs aren't huge over there. But everyone drinks and smokes. I think the Bali 9 is a non issue. You abide by the countries laws and if you dont then you face their justice system.

Where I disagree is with the 60minutes story last weekend. Kissing in Dubai. No public display of affection. Sentenced to prison. Or the girl that was raped and charged with sex outside of marriage.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.