Bali death toll now 182 mainly Australians, page-19

1. 44 Posts.
    Alphacenturian,

I'm still undecided as to the causes, agents responsible and motives, however, I have been watching the television news and reading the coverage on various newspapers here and it worries me.

Firstly, even though these media aren't saying it's definitely Al Queda because the evidence is not there yet, they, and the government, are giving this logic most weight. It may turn out to be them, I don't know.

However, whatever the final answer, I don't like the fact that other possible explanations are not being discussed as fully. As you say, another likely explanation is that it could be factions in the Indonesian military who are:

1) anti-Indonesian government, i.e. policies and groups in power, and,
    2) anti-Australian government because of East Timor

The Indonesian government, and perhaps the Indonesian investigation might be compromised by this, would be most likely to prefer the Al Queda explanation. They still get stick for their previous denials of the presence of militant Islamic groups and their involvement in terrorist activities, but this would be preferable to placing themselves in direct confrontation with the mentioned factions in the military.

What is also worrying, even if the latter explanation turns out wrong, is that the Australian investigation, at least in public, would be reliant on the Indonesian side, understandably enough. What is the likelihood that Indonesian national politics might compromise the investigation? Some tough questions need to be asked about the investigation and they don't seem to be likely to be asked, for fear of losing whatever cooperation and interest of the Indonesian government and teams.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.