AGO 0.00% 4.5¢ atlas iron limited

While we are on the subject of vanadium, I saw this today. The...

1. 72 Posts.
    While we are on the subject of vanadium, I saw this today. The full article is at: http://www.miningweekly.com/article/vanadium-use-may-rise-as-seismic-vulnerable-territories-seek-safeguards-2011-03-17-1

JOHANNESBURG (miningweekly.com) ? The consumption of vanadium, which is used to improve the strength properties of structural steel sections, may rise in territories vulnerable to seismic events following the recent catastrophe in Japan, Evraz Highveld Steel & Vanadium CEO Scott McDonald says.

Steel specifications could even be raised in the rebuilding of Japan, where large high-strength steel sections are already commonplace. However, it is also likely that other seismic regions, such as the west coast of the US, could begin to specify stronger steel grades for their building and construction industries.

McDonald argued that vanadium demand was increasing and forecast that usage rates in emerging economies would continue to rise, with the high-growth Asian markets, in particular, increasing their consumption of higher-strength steels. ?The outlook for the vanadium market is positive with ongoing urbanisation resulting in increasing demand and higher expected prices.?

Demand could be further boosted as a result of developments in Japan, as well as by the continued development of the vanadium redox battery, which could stimulate demand for vanadium pentoxide. There was ongoing research into the use of the battery in stationary and mobile applications, but it could be some time yet before this research translated into a material source of consumption.

Prices, which were currently stable at around $31/kgV, were also expected to improve further during 2011. However, they were likely to remain below their 2008 highs of over $70/kgV.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add AGO (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.