Great God: Just woke up and found what I thought was a perfectly...

1. 253 Posts.
    Great God: Just woke up and found what I thought was a perfectly good humourous holiday post - Moderated.

The sources I should think are obvious:

No 1 is the film 'Mary Poppins' which I actually watched right thru on the 27th. (Making Notes)

No 2 is the eminent financial guru 'Lucy Kellaway' circa Financial Times, BBC, and other outlets..Who I heard talking on BBC Business on Xmas Eve (I think).
    Lying there at 5am (Brisbane Time) I was more woozy than usual but still remembered the essentials of Lucy's message; ie bankers should study 'Mary Poppins' for enlightenment.

Like most of us have been busy driving around and visiting over Xmas, so having a quiet morning on the 27th thought what a great post. So went to BBC for Lucy, but could not find her talk.

So the post is all my work after studying MP, using the essential bit from Lucy.

I reproduce it below, hoping someone will enjoy it.
    (Incidentally I think this film sums up the products of the great 60's - the best time to live in Western History)

PS. Thanks Claws. This also highlights the message in MP, the spiritual one. Being 85, I do see many messages in MP.

During this holiday season bankers and financiers will do their level best to dispose of their hard earned bonuses, lolling at luxury resorts guzzling choice viands and munching special delicacies; yet while indulging they are also being urged to study ‘Mary Poppins’

Eminent financial psychologist Lucy Kellaway feels there are many important lessons to be learned by popping a DVD of the musical into the box, then watching star actors Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke in catchy songs, but more importantly in this case by studying the antics of the appropriately named ‘Banks family.’

Mt Banks is a senior employee of a very respectable Investment Bank, who runs a tight ship at home. New nanny Julie Andrews arrives to control his cheeky young son and daughter in the nursery; but things rapidly go pear shaped when Dad takes the children to his bank.

Young son Michael has ‘Tuppence’ clutched in his hand, ‘Reserved for the Birds’; but the Bank’s Chair, an aged ‘Giant of the financial world’ prises this from Michael, giving him a long homily on the benefits of bank investment, lifted from present day bank speak. Michael however is not happy about loosing his ‘Tuppence’ and runs into the marble lined bank foyer, yelling ‘They stole my tuppence. Give it back.’

Shock, horror; alarmed customers rush to withdraw their money, then as word spreads more rush in, precipitating that dreaded word – ‘a Run on the bank’; something that last occurred in 1776. At a late night board meeting, Mr. Banks is then fired.

In the end of course, airborne umbrellas and legions of step dancing chimney sweeps, help bring stability to the Banks family and to the local Financial system. The last key scene where all is resolved, show Mr Banks and the Bank directors strangely united in a new project - ‘Flying Kites.’

Those requiring enlightenment on means to cure our growing financial malaise will find Codewords and Symbolism abounding in this film; with even Uplifting, Moral stories plentiful.

With anticipation President Obama will inaugurate not only new financial stringencies, but also a new moral financial beginning – one can understand the need to retrieve those messages contained in ‘Mary Poppins.’

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.