BMN 1.34% $2.27 bannerman energy ltd

bannerman article on eia

1. 919 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 164
    Bannermans infrastructure EIA on the table

Written by Lienette Goosen

Friday, 30 July 2010 10:07

It will always be a key priority of Bannerman Resources to engage and consult with the local community with regard to the companys activities in the region. That was the key message from Mr Brandon Munro, in his introduction to Bannermans public consultation meeting on the infrastructure Environment Impact Assessment (EIA) for its Etango uranium project.

Appointed as general manager: Corporate Development at Bannerman, Brandon relocated to Swakopmund in Jan 2010 and is in charge of Bannermans activities in Namibia. With his corporate legal background, Brandon said he intends to create an environment conducive to the already positive relationship between Bannerman and the community.
    At the public meeting he reiterated Bannermans commitment to earn their social license in a responsible way. We believe that the net outcome of our proposed mining activities will be overwhelmingly positive, particularly given planned mitigation of the unavoidable negatives that result from any mining operation.
    The environmental clearance granted for the Etango Project in April 2010 confirms this, as did information on inputs from the previous public consultations presented at this meeting. In an interview with the Economist, Brandon reaffirmed his intention to keep Bannerman approachable. It is important for me that the community realise that we are willing to engage.
    He outlined his key messages: to do business in the most socially responsible way, to appreciate and recognise concerns and to be open and willing to consult with the community.

The recommendations of the Uranium Rush SEA formed the foundation for the infrastructure EIA presented with transport, water and power the key infrastructure issues. Water infrastructure recommendations focused on careful planning of bulk water supply infrastructure to accommodate existing and potential new customers and demand volumes to prevent numerous pipelines and the restriction of pipeline routes to designated corridors.
    Tourist views from the Welwitschia Flats and Moon Landscape were one of the main issues taken into account with the proposed power lines to be routed from the Kuiseb-Walmund substations.
    T
    hree options for transport were presented. These include road, rail and a combination of road and rail. According to Brandon, road is currently the more viable option. In this regard we have stayed within the recommendations of the Uranium Rush SEA.

Bannerman supported the following SEA suggestions: upgrading of the C34 behind the dunes, tarring of unsurfaced sections of the C28 up to the Etango turn-off, the restriction of certain roads in the Namib Naukluft Park to tourist traffic only, following the shortest feasible route to reduce disturbance and the tarring thereof to reduce noise and dust.

In the interview Brandon also touched on the EIA amendment currently in progress to accommodate changes in mine design and mineral processing technology. He confirmed that the documentation on the previous public meetings in 2009 had pointed to the possibility.

Bannermans original EIA clearly stated it was likely that the mine design would include the area of the Oshiveli and Onkelo deposits just north of the original Anomaly A deposit. The mine redesign is to include these ore bodies. The inclusion of Oshiveli and Onkelo has the advantages that the uranium ore is near the surface and these smaller pits can be backfilled with waste ore from other parts of the mine. However, we are mindful that this area is closer to the Swakop River and therefore are extensively assessing the environmental and social impact of extending the original mine design.

The amended EIA will be completed by the end of 2010 with public meetings scheduled for the first quarter of 2011.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add BMN (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$2.27
Change
0.030(1.34%)
Mkt cap ! $405.4M
Open High Low Value Volume
$2.24 $2.31 $2.23 $1.273M 558.4K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
4 11187 $2.25

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$2.28 777 2
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 18/09/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
BMN (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.