GXY 0.00% $5.28 galaxy resources limited

So, plenty of posters are arguing about spodumene quality and...

1. 3,463 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3013
    So, plenty of posters are arguing about spodumene quality and there is no doubt that variations in quality affect conversion costs, as far as I'm aware all current Australian concentrated spodumene is capable of conversion to BG LiOH. WA is not the only Australian producer reaching the required quality. GXY has also been receiving higher spodumene pricing than PLS and AJM historically because although GXYs spodumene isn't SC6, it is low in deleterious elements. GXY has had a headstart on the newer operations and its product has become highly trusted over time.
    Chinese domestic supplies are unsuitable for BG Lithium chemicals. The dodgy DSO material previously delivered may be considered uneconomical to convert.
    SC6 is a bit of a red herring IMHO and if you look into previous published details 0.1% change in grade represents a $15pt price difference. Anything above SC5.5 is ok for BG LiOH - SC6 is just a handy Benchmark of the Greenbushes product.
    There is a great video - albeit from 2018 - that explains the Chinese converter market. Experience of the Converter operator and consistency of Spodumene supply proven over years is key to optimal production and receives a price premium.
    The reasons for the stockpiling and oversupply of concentrated spodumene are well explained in the video. Converters had been relying on old technology and ran well below nameplate production. This is one of the main reasons for the industry wide converter upgrades. Not some Chinese conspiracy to lower pricing.
    I know I have my haters on this forum but I believe watching the video will give you a better understanding of converter bottlenecks etc.
    AIMHO DYOR

So, plenty of posters are arguing about spodumene quality and there is no doubt that variations in quality affect conversion costs, as far as I'm aware all current Australian concentrated spodumene is capable of conversion to BG LiOH. Greenbushes is not the only Australian producer reaching the required quality. GXY has also been receiving higher spodumene pricing than PLS and AJM historically because although GXYs spodumene isn't SC6, it is low in deleterious elements. GXY has had a headstart on the newer operations and its product has become highly trusted over time.
    Chinese domestic supplies are unsuitable for BG Lithium chemicals. The dodgy DSO material previously delivered may be considered uneconomical to convert.
    SC6 is a bit of a red herring IMHO and if you look into previous published details 0.1% change in grade represents a $15pt price difference. Anything above SC5.5 is ok for BG LiOH - SC6 is just a handy Benchmark of the Greenbushes product.
    There is a great video - albeit from 2018 - that explains the Chinese converter market. Experience of the Converter operator and consistency of Spodumene supply proven over years is key to optimal production and receives a price premium.
    The reasons for the stockpiling and oversupply of concentrated spodumene are well explained in the video. Converters had been relying on old technology and ran well below nameplate production. This is one of the main reasons for the industry wide converter upgrades. Not some Chinese conspiracy to lower pricing.
    I know I have my haters on this forum but I believe watching the video will give you a better understanding of converter bottlenecks etc.
    AIMHO DYOR

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add GXY (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.