FMG 1.20% $21.41 fortescue ltd

Analysts are quite knowledgeable about long and short term value...

1. 9,777 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3485
    Analysts are quite knowledgeable about long and short term value difference - but their institutional clients dont have patience to buy stocks that have falling short term indicators.

Thats the opportunity for us as private investors.

The big funds are measured on 3 monthly performance - they cant accept being down 10% for 3 months in order to be up 20% 6 month later. Have too much of that and their money starts evaporating.

Thats why the big sell-off of FMG on Friday - UBS downgraded their FY2014 Iron Ore forecast to reflect the recent spot price weakness - and thats led to strong selling.

But from what I hear, UBS themselves say FMG is worth considerably more than $5.50 and they still like iron ore price at above $US110 long term.

But just now concensus is in disarray - JP Morgan forecast a few months ago that they think spot price is going to US$80/t, and Citi said $US 90/t - and the funds, when a strong consensus like this breaks - scurry away like rats when the light comes on.

I think there is no doubt of this being a good opportunity to buy FMG. I'm a strong believer in a consolidating wave of growth in global steel demand from 2015.

But there is nothing to say the FMG stock price wont go to $4.20 before it goes back to $5. So buyer beware.

Keep a beady eye on the Fe spot price - if it stays above $US100 then $4.50 is excellent buying in FMG imo. But right now the pros just arent sure.

The one thing you do know about FMG - even with a massive debt - above $US80/t it should be ok long term. Whereas AGO will cease to have a business.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add FMG (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$21.41
Change
-0.260(1.20%)
Mkt cap ! $65.92B
Open High Low Value Volume
$21.52 $21.67 $21.30 $150.5M 7.000M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 93 $21.40

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$21.41 12657 3
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 28/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
FMG (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.