SP500 0.58% 2,958.8 standard & poor's 500

Just before the last U.S. presidential election, I was short the...

1. 447 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 278
    Just before the last U.S. presidential election, I was short the U.S. market via the BBUS inverse leveraged ETF. The financial media were predicting a massive stock crash if Trump won. I believed what they were saying, so I was motivated to put even more cash into BBUS. I reasoned that if a loose canon like Trump gets in power, the U.S. market would fall at least 5% the next day. Of course Trump ended up winning the election, and I ended up losing a lot of money because I was influenced by the financial media. This was an important lesson for me that I will never forget. The financial media are a bad influence for the serious trader. This is why I now never take notice of what the press has to stay. The press represent the dumb money most of the time. In retrospect, I should have been in cash waiting for the outcome of the election, and then trade in the direction of the S&P 500 according to what price action showed on the chart. It was clear that the moving averages were moving up post election, so it was sensible to be long via GGUS, or individual stocks in stage 2 uptrends.

For now the moving averages over multiple time-frames are headed up for the S&P 500. Hence I am 100% the stock market until the trend changes. I may not agree with it, but experience tells me that my opinion doesn't matter. The market has only one answer, and it is always the right answer.

SPX weekly chart attached with 10 and 26 period EMAs used for determining the longer-term trend direction. Note the lines are close to crossing up and over.

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/1448/1448910-00a9c6fdfa72e9c1c41efc5bfda6c03e.jpg

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add SP500 (INDEXSP) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.