SP500 0.58% 2,958.8 standard & poor's 500

BBUS, page-5477

1. 518 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 269
    Yes this is also known as being a retail trader.

Look all I could recommend is that you read up the fundamentals of trading. The books written in 1930 are still applicable and valuable today don't read them just once, you need to read and re-read them on a regular basis. Avoid those kids on YouTube selling some fad or chart analysis and even HC posters like myself - that's a waste of your time 100% and will likely steer you in the wrong direction. I still listen to them because I want to know what other people are thinking. I even talk to friends who I think are very poor traders because usually I dont understand how they come to their conclusions.

After everything I come back to my strategy. Have any of the fundamentals underlying my strategy changed? If no, keep going and don't stress the loss. I was very wrong (timing) on BBUS when I first dipped my toe in, but I've always used a DCA strategy (buy in and if it drops, buy more) to mitigate buying at the wrong time. Yet as the S&P 500 has surged and i've been scratching my head and bee very close to wanting to sell - i've held on - in fact i bought another 2 parcels, 1 yesterday and 1 today. I could still be wrong and it could surge back up to 3400 (roughly where I will take my loss) but at least I can come to the conclusion that my strategy was flawed.

I'd rather be wrong at understanding the market, lose money and then just stick to Index funds than be right about the market or individual stocks with a poor execution.

This rule of thumb is golden: "If you think of selling when the price goes down, rather than buying more, you're a speculator - not an investor"

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.