CDA 1.69% $12.03 codan limited

In the last report, CDA were carrying $42M of capitalised R&D on...

1. 83 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2
    In the last report, CDA were carrying $42M of capitalised R&D on new products - this has increased from 23M three years ago. All of this has to be amortised or written off at some future time - it is 24 cps.

Capitalising development costs of new products and amortising it once you start selling the products is a valid accounting treatment - but it is sometimes used to massage profits. I am not inferring this is the case with CDA and there is no evidence pointing this way, but I am always cautious when I see capitalised expenses accumulate quickly in the balance sheet. Most auditors do not have the technical skills to assess whether expenses really were spent on new product development - but if forecast sales of a new product does not eventuate as planned, they will call for impairment of the capitalised costs.

In the last two years, capitalised expenses were $8M each year (that is, new capitalised less amortised). If the company followed a policy of expensing R&D instead of capitalising, then EBIT would have been 8M less in both years. Eventually a steady state should be reached where new capitalised costs balance the amount amortised - a continually increasing capitalised value indicates that the company is rapidly expanding or replacing it's product range. But this can't last for long - if a product's lifecycle is short, then the amortisation period should be correspondingly short.

I have been a past investor of CDA and have done well from this stock - but I am staying out at the moment until I see more clarity on this issue.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add CDA (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$12.03
Change
0.200(1.69%)
Mkt cap ! $2.181B
Open High Low Value Volume
$11.87 $12.07 $11.76 $2.973M 248.6K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 303 $11.96

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$12.05 1829 2
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 28/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
CDA (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.