SBM 1.49% 34.0¢ st barbara limited

re: Behaving badly - Help needed=acturtle Hi acturtle, I agree...

1. 470 Posts.
    re: Behaving badly - Help needed=acturtle Hi acturtle, I agree with you re the current likelihood of a small run on gold.

I have two approaches with stock selection on the goldies. Because I think that we're at the beginning of a long-term bull run in gold, I like companies with ounces in the ground ie explorers with proven reserves and driilling for more, rather than producers and of course, because they are unhedged. Hence, I've been holding (for some time) RBK, BDG, OXR (been rather disappointed with OXR it hasn't really run but I suppose that has something to do with the up coming option maturation) . These stocks are less volatile but in my opinion would make significant moves if POG rises significantly and as new reserves are delineated. They are longer term plays as I see it.

The other class of gold stock is more closely geared to the POG and I like to trade with these as POG moves up and down on a day to day basis. eg CRS and EMP and LHG.

SBM doesn't really fit into either of these categories I admit. Comparison with the POG chart indeed shows that it has not moved as gold has done. However they are a producer with more gold in the ground and potential upside from expansion of reserves and DIO is something of a wild card. Having recently sold out of DIO at better than 100% profit I felt that SBM at current levels would give me some leverage into DIO again as well as a relatively safe (technically) entry point into a producer.

Perhaps my logic is flawed but, I suspect, I'm not as disciplined a trader as you are and sometimes I go with my hunches.

I was most impressed by the way, that you had the discipline to get out of HDR before they reached target. Unquestionably the correct thing statistically to have done. Again, I'm way too much of a gambler to have done that!

AnnaP

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add SBM (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.