DebonoThanks for your reply.Sadly grieved by the loss of your...

1. 198 Posts.
    Debono

Thanks for your reply.

Sadly grieved by the loss of your brother, so sorry.

In psychiatric wards doctors and nurses will only prescribe diazepam (valium) for the first few days of admission and then only on a limited basis. Not all day but perhaps for the first few waking hours. After day four or five once the patient is somewhat settled and/or stabilised and under the prescribed anti depressant regime (counsel or drugs) the valium is stopped. Only as a sleeping pill is a member of the valium family given (temazepam or perhaps others).
    This is a very mild form of valium, neither addictive or without long term consequences.

I cannot verify 100% whether doctors should prescribe it to be self administered or not. I cannot verify whether Ben Cousins and others received their diazepam under prescription. If not, a serious case of criminality has to be investigated.

Debono, I only speak from experience. I have been hospitalised and it was great relief for me considering my condition at the time. Diazepam was prescribed and although my condition wasn't of a bipolar nature but related to an anxiety disorder the highs and lows of relief from diazepam and the let down seemed like it. Diazepam made me feel great but once it wore off I was very very low, with suicidal and violent tendencies. Boy, was I glad when the anti depressants took hold.

That was very many years ago (1993) and there hasn't been a relapse. The important thing for Ben Cousins, for others and sadly for the likes of your brother there is good help available. It is freely given even under Tony Abbot's health regime. My doctor was wise enough to recognise that I needed hospitalisation.

The important thing is to seek as much professional help as you can get without worrying about the stigma that may be attached in receiving that help. The underlying factor in many rural suicides is that it is not manly to admit depression and therefore it's association with mental illness and so called lunacy. It's all very much a case of misunderstanding, of affliction to one's pride.

Cheers

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.