Thanks for that Borgward. From what I've been told with Subarus...

1. 3,728 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2
    Thanks for that Borgward. From what I've been told with Subarus is that the timing belt replacement is a fairly straightforward affair with no tricks needed and, because the engines are short due to the boxer configuration, have plenty of room for easy 'curse free' access. The upper end Subarus with the flat 6 engines have timing chains - again, sealed for life.

Yes timing belts should not be feared providing they are reliable, not needing to be replaced often, are not expensive to replace and won't cause engine damage when they fail. But when Holden released the Opel made TS Astra in 1998, the timing belt was scheduled to be replaced at around 100,000kms. Unfortunately the belts started to fail at around 65 to 70k resulting in expensive bent valves. So the service books had to be updated so that the belt replacement schedule was listed as 60,000kms. These mongrels also require a belt tensioner and an idler pulley each time to the do job 'right'! Luckily the AH Astra from 2005 onwards does not need to have the timing belt replaced until around 100,000kms and is quite a good car in my book.

While I'm at it, if anyone is looking for a good inexpensive car for someone who doesn't mind bland looks then look no further than a Nissan Tiida. These cars are undervalued compared to other cars in the same category due to the looks, but also due to the motoring press mimicking each other by knocking this vehicle's dynamics and looks.

Firstly, no one buys these cars to go fast around the corners, so for day to day usage they are as good as anything. But, take my word for it, try sitting in one and you'll be amazed at the comfort of the large seats and the amazing amount of headroom and general space - it's quite an uplifting feeling considering its size. I drove one today to confirm my beliefs - they have a timing chain for the life of the engine, easy to service, simple, reliable, no nonsense - but ugly. For a teenage girl they'll look well out of place with the usual large pink 'ROXY' sign stuck on the rear window, but as a nanna car I give them 10 out 10.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.