With all due respect o.c.16, because you served, which is to be...

1. 2,733 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 11
    With all due respect o.c.16, because you served, which is to be commended, if other people don't understand I really think it is unnecessary to call them idiots.
    I was lucky, I missed out by one day for my birthday marble to be pulled out, so I wasn't part of the Vietnam disaster.
    However I have mates who did go, and came back a shell of their former self. I listened to their stories, which at times were truly horrific.
    My father served in WW2 and the stories he told me were also very sad.
    So if you like call me an idiot because I didn't serve but I do have an understanding, not complete I admit, but enough to know the pressure these soldiers were under.
    Some points I would like to make.
    These soldiers I believe, volunteered to join the ADF. So they should have upheld the virtues of the ADF, which apparently they did not.

Every war is a battlefield regardless if it is back in the offices or actually out in the field. It is a not a switch that can be turned off and on at days end.
    So people on here who try to say that battlefields cease to exist at 5pm when the soldiers go back to their offices, imho, are not calling it correctly. A battlefield lasts for 24 hours.
    This issue should not be argued by blaming just one side of politics. Every PM or Defence Minister on both sides have had the opportunity to withdraw the troops. But chose not to.
    Fortunately plans were put in place in March this year to plan for the withdrawal the remaining Australian ADF from Afghanistan.

So o.c.16 call me an idiot if you like but I do understand how the pressures can affect some people adversely.
    However at the end of the day it is what it is, Australian ADF personnel appear to have killed Afghanistans when not in a combat situation. They have to be held to account. And they did volunteer, as far as I am aware, to serve. The ADF need to explain their involvement and also Government officials and parliamentary members on both side have some explaining to do.
    I am not trying to be flippant but I hope the amount of money being spent on mental issues arising from Covid19 is higher for those in the ADF or at least be replicated.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.