bets are on for next us prez, page-12

1. 3,704 Posts.
    The problem for the Democrats is that either way a barrier has to be broken, a precendent has to be made.

Is the USA going to vote a black man in as president? At one time it was unthinkable that a Catholic would be president but this is another thing altogether.

The obvious support group is America's black population but not only are they split (as the Clintons have a big black support base) but too many can't be bothered getting to a polling booth.

Even if they do, the USA has about 12% of the population as black. Not what you would call a massive percentage.

Is the white middle class American going to vote for a black man? Some will, maybe many, but most?

How about a woman? To many in the US, Hilary is a comfortable old pair of shoes. They have seen her as a presidential partner for so long that I think they are comfortable with her. But will white middle class men vote for a women?

What about women? Sure there are many who feel Grrrl power all the way but there are also many who feel threatened, they talk the talk but when it comes down to it they resent Hilary because she is everything they cannot be.

It has been common practise for American presidents to deal with a hostile congress and/or senate. Clinton had to deal with a Republican controlled senate and congress and now Bush has had to do the same.

It is almost like the American public is trying to keep all parties in check this way, making sure that no one gets the keys to everything.

So whilst it saddens me to think this, I think the Democrats won't win with Obama if they choose him to lead them. With Hilary they have more chance but the fact that both the Senate and Congress are Democrat controlled makes me think they will be more comfortable with a Republican white male in the Oval office.

God I hope I'm wrong. I would love to see Hilary as president. She is an exceptional human being in so many ways. I don't think a more competent person exists in American politics.

When you compare all three possibilities to the useless piece of sh!te which has been there for the past 8 years, anything will be an improvement.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.