beyond bitcoin - decentralized apps on the blockchain

1. 335 Posts.
    First of all,bitcoin is still holding steady at just over $13,000 USD... and, as yet, no sign of a bubble bursting as many predicted (wrongly yet again).

Despite a slow start to the year for bitcoin, other digital crypto assets have kept the rapid growth up though - take the EOS token for example, a next generation platform for decentralized applications - up 3x fold since december 2017 !

For those that haven't been following crypto, the tech has moved beyond simple currency ("coins"), such as bitcoin, to more complex digital assets ("tokens") with which you don't just store value but can power a range of use-cases, otherwise known as dapps (decentralized apps). This is the internet re-invented.

There is a reason I posted bitcoin on the strategic investment forum just under a year ago (bitcoin was just $1,000 then...) being that crypto is not just a temporary fad.

The main concern many have had is that there is no "real value" behind a digital currency/asset (well, arguable not with fiat currency either)... but with platforms such as EOS - which can host web applications (dapps) from social networking to video streaming etc. complete with marketplaces, paid content etc. - there are real ways to monetize the platform and hence there is an increasing incentive to own a part of it.

EOS has no central governing authority and is run completely peer-to-peer. The result? no private companies taking a significant portion of the profits to be made - value is transferred directly from one user to the next. Imagine an ebay-style app without ebay fees (as high as 9%) as just one example of how the value proposition shifts when using crypto. Or imagine a facebook-style app with YOU being paid the advertising fees for the ads you see rather than zuckerberg (!).

The crypto space is well worth a look. It can be daunting at first, with many digital tokens on the market already - with more on the way. But, as mentioned, this is the internet re-invented after all. However, there are ways to narrow the list. Last year investors found that the largest growth lies in digital assets that are the most useful. This is why first and foremost I recommend EOS as an alternative to Bitcoin at this stage as it doesn't just power one use case but can be used by developers to develop and run any kind of d-app. Imho, bitcoin is sure to continue the trend upwards eventually, though most likely following a linear climb rather than last years exponential lift off.

A good site where you can buy digital tokens, such as EOS, with australian dollars is www.coinspot.com.au. This is where I have purchased and store the majority of the digital tokens I hold, and is my clear recommendation as most digital tokens are available for purchase and trade.

Another site is btcmarkets.net, however, the choice of tokens is very limited and most of the next-gen ones, such as EOS, aren't for sale at all.

FYI, I'm not affiliated with EOS in any way, it's just my top pick atm. I'll post updates in this space as I can.

...as before, im not a financial advisor, DYOR, etc
    Last edited by NewEconomy: 16/01/18

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.