APG 0.00% 0.2¢ austpac resources nl

Well will4, since you ask, abbreviation is actually the best...

1. 248 Posts.
    Well will4, since you ask,

abbreviation is actually the best they could do with two affixes (prefix and suffix) and mixing of three languages

I will start at the end

"ation" is now actually english but given serious boost by americans who love to to put "is" before the "ation" as in Americanisation of Iraq. Or Australia. I mean just look at Howards comments on Mr. Obama in American politics. Has there been an Americanisation of JH? you bet!! However, I digress The Suffix "IATIO" is unquestinably Latin to which an "N" has been added.

It is added to verbs to form nouns showing action or condition, as in this case the shortening of something. The "i" is actually an Italian derivitive which some scholars think was a phonetic inflexion of the word to make it easier to say. Whatever the case the result seems to back itup. IT is easier to place the two vowels close together and have "abbreve-iation" than "Abbrev - ation" try it yourself. However it is difficult to dispute that the word "abbreviatio" exists from at least 200 years BC

of course then there isa the Latin "BREVE" which of course is the word from which "Brief" comes. But in latin breve means SHORT

Then there is the PREFIX "AB"

which is also latin

its affixtion to the word Breve meant that the Romans when they wanted to shortn up a plank on the Trireme would say, "Hey mate, abbreve that plank"

IT was probably "AD" and not "AB" be cause the word "AD" would have the effect of the word "TO" in English. so "to shorten" you see???

and to let you know a little more the earliest use of the word in english was about 1460 and it was from the French and not directly from Latin.

It is recorded as abréviation.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add APG (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.