RIO 1.04% $114.66 rio tinto limited

loki last I heard RIO were planning to replace mine workers with...

1. 6,757 Posts.
    loki last I heard RIO were planning to replace mine workers with robots. They they could presumably be controlled over the internet from Beijing as easily as from Perth.

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=32&ContentID=54981

Rio Tinto unveils ambitious automation plans for Pilbara
    18th January 2008, 10:15 WST

Rio Tinto Ltd has unveiled details of its automated mine-to-port iron ore operations in Western Australia’s Pilbara region, which are currently being commissioned.

The mining giant revealed its ambitious automation plans on Wednesday, and today said it had formed an alliance with equipment supplier Komatsu to develop and deploy advanced autonomous haulage solutions.

In a statement today, Rio Tinto said the Pilbara mines would be controlled 1,300 kilometres away at a new centre in Perth, with driverless trains carrying the ore on most of the 1200km of track.

The plans include a driverless truck fleet and remote control drills.

The remote operations centre in Perth will be commissioned throughout 2008 and 2009, and the remote control trains, drills and trucks will be operational this year.

The Komatsu autonomous haulage system will be commissioned before the end of 2008, then more widely deployed at other Rio Tinto iron ore operations by 2010.

Rio Tinto said it aimed to lead the charge for integrated and automated mining and transport in the Pilbara, leading to greater efficiency, lower production costs and more attractive working conditions.

Rio Tinto chief executive Tom Albanese said the company had at least a three year start on the rest of the industry, which has focused on discrete technologies rather than modernising the whole mine-to-port operation.

“It will allow for more efficient operations and directly confront the escalating costs associated with basing employees at remote sites, giving us a competitive advantage as an employer along the way,” Mr Albanese said.

“We are closely focussed on supporting our Pilbara iron ore expansion through the application of world-leading automation technologies.”

Rio Tinto shares were $6.23, or 5.25 per cent, lower to $112.37 at 9.38am.

AAP

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add RIO (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$114.66
Change
-1.210(1.04%)
Mkt cap ! $42.56B
Open High Low Value Volume
$114.01 $115.41 $113.70 $206.0M 1.797M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 40 $114.65

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$114.72 42808 3
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 30/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
RIO (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.